Wednesday 15 July 2015

Rudai 23. Thing 2: Writing Your First Blog Post

Your task is this: Write about how/why you became a librarian.

When people ask what I do, and I tell them, often they'll say "cool, so you get to sit around and read books all day".  I have always had an interest in books and if I'm honest sitting around reading books all day does sound like a nice way to 'earn a buck' (or a pound, or a euro etc).  I began to apply for library jobs simply because I like books, and not just reading them.  I like the design of books.  I like the smell of old books, and new books actually.  I like making books.  I like the way books feel in you hand (which proved useful in my first library job where I was mainly shelving).  But the thing is, there is so much more to libraries than books and that's why I love them and continue to work in information services.

I currently work as an LRC Officer in a sixth form library.  What I enjoy most is making promotional material and finding creative ways to make our resources more accessible for students.  I am required to work term time only so for the other fourteen weeks of the year I get to "sit around and read books all day".

4 comments:

  1. Ah Scott, how many times have we all heard the 'it must be wonderful to work in a library and read books all day' speech. I used to get annoyed but not any more, because I love what I do. Look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is looking great Scott. Keep it up.

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and thank you for signing up to Rudai 23! The Rudai team members have been assigned a group of participants each to comment on blog posts and help along the way. You're on my list. If you need help or have questions just ask. Looking forward to reading your posts. #rudai23

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello all, thanks for the comments and offers of guidance. I have been on holiday so have fallen behind a little, getting back on track today though!

    ReplyDelete