Monday 30 November 2015

Rudai 23. Thing 22: Mobile Things

I downloaded GUM and tested it out on The Fault in our Stars as suggested. 

The book I am currently reading doesn't have a bar-code (it's a Millennium Library hardback), so instead I grabbed a copy of Slaugherhouse 5 (which I read a long time ago, and loved) from our library and scanned that, leaving a mini review or 'gum'...



GUM seems like a useful app, I'm interested to know what kind of random objects people have scanned. However, I do think it will take a while to grow and become popular.  It could be useful in libraries to use for workshops etc as The Library Voice explained in her blog post.

I like the idea of scanning ISBNs and gaining access to reviews etc.  I have the Goodreads app on my phone, if I am browsing in a book shop and spot a book that looks interesting I scan the ISBN, I am then taken to the book's page which contains reviews by other readers.  I can also add the book to my 'want to read shelve'.  Similarly when I start to read a book I scan it and add to my 'currently reading' shelve.  Because Goodreads is strictly used for books I think it beats GUM as far as attaching reviews to ISBNs goes.  But with GUM you can scan anything, maybe I'll start leaving reviews on types of pasta and see what happens...


2 comments:

  1. Well Done on finishing the course! Hurray!!!

    Mary #Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary!

    I enjoyed it and am looking forward to putting what I have learnt into practice.

    ReplyDelete